Notes Towards a Definition of Communist Culture
The master class will analyse phenomena of modern thought and culture with the intention to discern elements of possible Communist culture. It will move at two levels: first, it will interpret some cultural phenomena (from today’s architecture to classic literary works like Rousseau’s La Nouvelle Heloise) as failures to imagine or enact a Communist culture; second, it will explore attempts at imagining how a Communist culture could look, from Wagner’s Ring to Kafka’s and Beckett’s short stories and contemporary science fiction novels.
1. Architecture as Ideology: the Failure of Performance-Arts Venues to construct a Communal Space
2. Narrative as an Ideological Category: Literary References in Hegel’s Phenomenology
3. The Failure of Nietzsche’s Critique of the Hegelian Narrative
4. Wagner’s Ring as a Communist narrative
5. Narrative Germs of Communism: from Kafka, Beckett, Sturgeon
Monday 15th June – Friday 19th June 2.30pm (Wednesday 17th @ 2pm) Room B34 Birkbeck Main Building