The new issue of New Left Review is out now – no.50 Sep/Oct 2009. Highlights include:
- A moving tribute to Peter Gowan by his long-standing comrade Tariq Ali, as well as an interview with him from earlier this year where he recalls his political and intellectual trajectory.
- Gabriel Piterberg, author of The Returns of Zionism: Myths, Politics and Scholarship in Israel, reviews Shlomo Sand’s The Invention of the Jewish People.
- Terry Eagleton’s extensive essay on Fredric Jameson’s The Modernist Papers. Terry Eagleton’s forthcoming collection of interviews The Task of the Critic is due out in December.
- Gopal Balakrishnan, author of Antagonistics: Capitalism and Power in an Age of War, charts epochal trends in world capitalism.
- A previously unavailable section from Jean-Paul Sartre’s War Diaries.
- Owen Hatherley‘s review of Nicolas Bourriaud’s The Radicant.