The cabal’s greatest, most mesmerising trick of all has been to fashion novels of true originality and page-riffling appeal. How do they do it? The official version speaks of the sturdy virtues of co-operative work, with each individually-authored section given close scrutiny by other members of the collective until a final draft pleases the whole pack. … [Manituana is] a fast-flowing, densely peopled, richly decorated story of a precious way of life, and thought, on the brink of the modern abyss.
And in the Daily Mail:
JOSEPH BRANT is chief of the Mohawks, part of the Six Nations of the Iroquois, a conferation of native indians in North America. For years they have lived peacefully side by side with the English colonists — until revolution comes. Allegiances begin to fall apart, and in 1775 Brant sets off for London to beg the King for a more robust show of support against the rebels. Wu Ming is a collective of Italian fiction writers, and one might think this could lead to a disjointed narrative, but this is far from the case. In seamless prose — thanks, no doubt in some part, to translator Shaun Whiteside — they have produced a highly compelling epic ofgreat beauty and power.
Also – have you investigated the Manituana website? Wu Ming have created an interactive website that offers background to the deeply researched novel, as well as ways of extending the world of Manituana. It includes:
- An animated trailer introducing the book: http://www.manituana.com/section/73
- A collection of introductory and ‘side’ stories that developed from the novel:http://www.manituana.com/section/76
- A series of ‘placemarks’ created using Google Earth, showing key sites from the novel:http://www.manituana.com/section/74
- A board game and a graphic novel inspired by the book: http://www.manituana.com/section/101
- Audio files from the many musicians who have been inspired by the novel to make music about it:http://www.manituana.com/suoni.php
- A chronology of the history behind the novel: http://www.manituana.com/section/80
- For those who want to go further into the world of the novel there is a ‘level two’, where, to gain access, you have to answer a question to prove you have read the novel: http://www.manituana.com/section/83
- Plus any news about reviews, etc: http://www.manituana.com/news.php